MENU

Friday, June 9, 2017

Winter, taking stock

Winter has arrived with a sudden drop in temperatures, frosty mornings and a full program of farming, schooling and family commitments.  The days are short, the nights are long and quiet and it seems like a good time to take stock.  Thanks Pip.   

Making : endless meals
Cooking : sourdough pizza bases and old school crunchy chocolate slice


Drinking : tea, followed by one coffee at 9am and then back to tea
Reading: Frankie Spaces and I even found a very creative ex-Broken Hill local amongst the pages
Trawling: the second hand shops for cheap but sturdy timber chairs
Looking: at new beds
Deciding: on a new bed
Wishing: my little pear tree had produced more than one pear this year.  There is always next year. 



Enjoying: My Open Kitchen e-course  
Waiting: for the school holidays
Liking: the jars full of seeds I have collected from my garden



Wondering: how to make the most of the limited family time we currently have 
Loving: that my children already think like practical farmers
Pondering: launching back into selling my sourdough, one of these days
Listening: to my local ABC radio, always
Considering: where I might start with my caravan renovation
Buying: a beautiful set of old but perfect children’s alphabetical animal stamps
Watching: the frost quickly kill off my basil and zucchinis

Hoping: my daughter never loses her love of chasing cows and dogs and riding horses


Marvelling: at The Shady Farmer and his clever use of Instagram, amongst other things. I love this man
Cringing: at the news, it is a crazy, frightening world out there
Needing: more scissors, sticky tape and glue in the house, where does it all go?
Questioning: small people about the above
Smelling: quinces, so many quinces
Wearing: snow socks and many layers
Noticing: the bubbles in my sourdough starter



Thinking: about something sweet I can bake quickly, before the weekend
Admiring: all the warm things from Icebreaker
Getting: ready for visitors on the long weekend
Bookmarking: Australian made ceramics on Etsy, it is a slippery slope let me tell you
Opening: doors and windows briefly        
Closing: them again when the cold afternoon air moves in
Feeling: grateful for the opportunities that working with Graziher has presented 
Hearing: a small motorbike buzzing and the occasional dog barking
Celebrating: two special family birthdays in June, our boy George and my mum
Pretending: not to notice that my windows need cleaning
Embracing: my woolly scarves that I had almost forgotten about over the summer 


I hope this weekend you are lighting a fire in the paddock or reading something beautiful.

Happy Friday friends x

9 comments :

  1. As I read through your list I kept thinking of things I wanted to write back to you about but then I got stuck on the scissors, sticky tape and glue!! What's with that? Where do they even go? So strange. Beautiful post and photos as always. I hope you have a happy weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, sending love back to you...and a spare pair of (secret!) scissors x

      Delete
  2. I love that you too share my love of the simple things in life and your family. You inspire me Jane with your energy to be involved with the things you love. That is no mean feat when you are isolated. It is so easy to think it is all too hard but not you! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, aren't we lucky to have these opportunities that some people might never get x

      Delete
  3. Et chez nous, c'est l'été, il fait de plus en plus chaud et tout pousse dans le jardin. Bientôt les premières tomates... :) jaime ce contraste!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughing at your slippery slope of Australian ceramics. I've been there before and managed to keep it manageable. A good friend has recently sunk deep into the ceramics scene and I find myself noticing all these wonderful ceramics to bookmark and send to her. Great for her, but it's ignited the whole damn thing again for me....there's soooo much lovely stuff out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tire of seeing photos of your sourdough Jane! It always looks so good!
    Where do scissors go?! I can never find a pair around here either when I need to. They're worse than socks :-)

    Hope you're keeping warm!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane