MENU

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Community connections

Originally I was going to write this post about my community but I find my specific community difficult to pin point.  Instead I have been thinking about the small moments of contact that add up to make my life feel meaningful and happy. 

A friend who doesn’t question my craziness when I ask her to help with photo locations, autumn leaves and afternoon light.  She just quietly supports and listens to me ramble on about quinces and life. 


My visits to our local vintage and second-hand shops.  These trips aren’t about filling my car with material things; they are more about observing the social history of our town, chatting with the shop owners and sometimes coming away with a special piece. 


Occasionally we eat meat that we haven’t slaughtered ourselves and when we do it comes from a proper butcher shop.  The sort of shop where the hardworking man who owns the business is behind the counter chopping, cutting and slicing as he subtlety reveals a little of his butchering knowledge to the cooks who visit him. 


Speaking of shops, a new pop up shop in town has completely captured my imagination.  The creative lady behind this venture has put her heart and soul into this previously unused space and her enthusiasm is infectious.  Every empty shop front in every country town needs someone like this! 




Last Sunday a friend and orchardist generously gave us oranges, corn and seed potatoes because he knew they would be put to good use and appreciated.  Really, is there anything better?   


An early morning text message from a friend who had thought of an idea for our upcoming Fire and Flour Day while she was preparing quinces for her cafe.  Thank you Summa for always believing in all the crazy schemes. I love that nothing is ever too difficult for you! 

This week I also hugged and chatted with a neighbour in the sunshine when her mix of work, life and kids all started to spin. 

While my community is rather random, these moments fill me with gratitude. 

Do you have these moments?

I hope this Sunday you are chatting with a friend or swapping some vegetables or baking something that warms your heart. 

Jane x


15 comments :

  1. interesting read..........I had to do a speech recently to receive a community grant for a group I am part of......I thought about community long an hard...........I think we are part of numerous communities.........online, school, work, patchwork, walking group, town, neighbours........could be numerous other ones too........so our whole community is several combined i believe and I also think that when we most need that community we feel the furtherest/most disconnected from it so it is good when things are good to reach out to those who have been quieter.......for what ever reason we may or may not know but it may just be the day they need a chat or kind word..........
    once again nice photos......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thoughts Chookyblue, thank you. I agree, we are all connected to so many different communities.

      Delete
    2. So true Chookyblue, I know when I most need a community I withdraw and don't say what I need. So I try to notice when others disappear and do a little check in with them.

      Delete
  2. When is your next flour and fire day. I am so tempted to drag the study with me and head out. Itchy feet and a need to roadtrip. And who doesn't love a roaring fire and bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 8th July Kate. Not very organised just yet...although my friend with the coffee van is locked in!

      Delete
  3. Community is so much more than just a location isn't it Jane and we are lucky, despite the distances! I am glad to be part of your flour and fire community along with some other strong connections ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww can it really be Flour and Fire Day coming up again Jane??
    (and awesome to see a straight up pic of you on the side too, hello :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brydie. I am quite uncomfortable in front of the camera...for someone who takes a lot of photos! A while ago I had some professional shots done so I finally had some photos of myself that I was actually comfortable with. I am pleased I did it :)

      Delete
  5. Your quince photo is beautiful - our quince are just tiny just forming fruits. Wouldn't it be interesting to draw a venn diagram of all the communities that we're part of? It amazes me how many overlap, even though they appear to have no obvious link. I like the fact that my commnunity ranges from the tiny group in our immediate neighbourhood to the worldwide community of blogging and farming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I know you understand these things.

      Delete
  6. Love your photos Jane. Yes I love that we have numerous and varied communities. It is refreshing to be able to share with so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie! We are due for a coffee soon. But not this Friday, off to Mildura with a young cross country runner who is representing Broken Hill x

      Delete
  7. How far out of your closest town are you Jane?
    This week we lost a member of our local community and the organic movement.
    Everyone is experiencing it and it feels important to share it. Swapping memories and stories down the street helps. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate. Broken Hill is about 1 hour away for us. I think I read about this man on Rohan's Insta post. How devastating for your community. Yes, talking to people is so important isn't it? Even just the smallest points of contact can mean so much. xx

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane