MENU

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Lately

The last week of the school term can be a killer.  Patience and motivation seem harder to find when the holidays and Easter are both in sight.  On top of that, my enthusiasm is limited when it comes to Easter craft activities and discussions.

Midweek my frustrations must have been quite obvious when my husband questioned why I was letting it all get to me.  He told me to do something that I found inspiring instead.  Why is it that men have a knack of explaining things so simply?  Or is it just me who has a tendency to torture myself with the tedious points of life, when instead I should just get outside and dig in the garden. 

So, I did.  We packed up the books and momentarily stepped away from our distance education computer. 

I cleaned up some dying summer vegetables.


I spent some time admiring beans and sunflowers seeds that I am collecting from the garden.  There is just something about a jar of seeds don’t you think?


I fed my sourdough starter.


I listened to some music, this song and then this song


I messaged an old friend and a cousin who I haven't seen in ages and arranged some real life catch up time.

I baked a batch of Kourabiedes to give as gifts, if they last that long.


I spent some time daydreaming about coffee possibilities at this place and then this place. We are hitting the road very soon and it is getting rather exciting. 

Of course, I can’t always down tools when the going gets tough, but sometimes it is just good to reconnect with the things that make us happy. 

Do you have a favourite thing to do when life starts to boil over?  I know for some of you it is sewing.

Happy weekend, friends x

20 comments :

  1. I walk.........and hand stitch Lucy........mow the lawns.........visit the chooks...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great solutions to the craziness of life!

      Delete
  2. I walk. Just five minutes can be enough to put things into perspective, though sometimes it can take a lot longer! Recently, I've tried sitting still somewhere for just five minutes and completely switching off, though with limited success.

    I cannot imagine coping with distance educating but I guess it must be frustrating and rewarding in equal measure. I suspect I'd have to go outside and dig the garden rather too often.

    Enjoy your daydreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne. We probably do go outside and dig, walk, check sheep and cook biscuits too often. It can be challenging, just like all things in life. Thank you for understanding.

      Delete
  3. lovely, reflective photos Jane !I too, was having a tough week earlier on and even though it was a bit complicated to engineer getting the machine and actually finding a spot to sew, ... I made a baby quilt for a friend, THAT had the desired effect . life was just getting on top of me .. and I was letting it! have an awesome break! EWE BEAUTY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking in nature, forest bathing. Enjoy the holidays, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very much looking forward to catching up with you too Jane! It's been far too long for 2 girls who grew up in one another's pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it was great to catch up x

      Delete
  6. I'm hearing you load and clear Jane, I was very unmotivated with the whole school aspect! I had so much to catch up on with house work with shearing running for 4 weeks, house work is all I wanted to do haha
    We too get outside if things are going in the right direction. Here's to 2 weeks of no structured schooling and loads so funfilled days. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling in Sally...what a lovely surprise. I hope you had a lovely holiday! x

      Delete
  7. It's good to stop and take time when things start getting stressful. Sometimes it's hard to let yourself do, but in reality it doesn't take that much time and makes everything seem a little more do-able again. My go to when life is getting too much is either knitting or sourdough baking, or when they fail a walk with the camera at golden hour.
    You sound like you need a holiday so it's a good thing there is one coming up for you!

    I hope you have a lovely week,
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to carve out solitude or things become just too much. Like you, a dig in the garden will do it, or a solo coffee excursion - though I am much closer to that as a possibility than you are. Sometimes just an hour of knitting and watching the tele will do it, so long as no one phones, speaks to me or asks anything of me. I have much more of this time than I ever did when the four kids were at home, but I feel I need it more than ever, a strange paradox I can't explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think life is busy no matter what stage of life we are at, it just gets busy with different things! Thanks Kate.

      Delete
  9. SO gorgeous Jane. Your photos are out of this world.
    And I totally get it. This term seemed looking even though it was the summer one. How ever will we survive the cold and dark ones?
    Big love to you, I hope you're feeling somewhat refreshed. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, so lovely of you to call in x

      Delete
  10. I go for a walk or take my camera out into the garden. I'm sure I'd not get on with distance learning at all and would end up digging loads! Gorgeous pics, as always Jane. I hope you have a fabulous holiday. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam, happy gardening! x

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane