MENU

Monday, November 16, 2015

Pondering and pretty things

I have been thinking about a lot of things lately.


No matter how many babies are born, it is always a miracle.  When a special little girl recently entered the world I couldn’t help feeling nostalgic as I put her gift together. 


We have been spending some time with a wise horsewomen who has been teaching us about the basics of natural horsemanship.  This is a new way of thinking for us and along the way an easy friendship has developed.  It is wonderful when new things lead us to like minded people and exciting opportunities.  


Christmas can be a special time but it can also be a time of ridiculous excess and family tension.  I pondered all of this while I was making a simple wreath from a soft gum tree twig one hot afternoon.  


My friend Zara is very talented with the sewing machine, amongst other crafty things.  Have you ever seen Australian themed tea towels look so pretty?  These cushions suit our home perfectly.  Thank you Zara, these colours brighten my day every time I look at them.


This year my garlic bulbs are not particularly large, but they still smell delicious.  Do I need to even say how much I detest seeing Chinese garlic in the supermarket? 


In a quiet corner of my kitchen I have some beautiful beeswax candles given to me by a special friend.  Also, some pretty reading material from the talented Lunch Lady and Fete magazine. Both of these magazines are printed on delicious, thick paper which I love.  

I listen to more music now that I have in years.  My taste is varied to say the least.  I like a little bit of country both old and new, I love the big hits from the '80s but I also listen to Triple J  whenever I can.  Guitar Town was released by Steve Earle in 1986.  I hadn’t seen the video until recently; I do love an old school country tune to get my toes tapping.  Check out the styles and the classic tour bus in the video.  

What are you thinking about, friends?

Garlic, horses, music or Christmas?  

Wishing you peace this week x

24 comments :

  1. you are making me think that perhaps I can - should! - pull my garlic now, as the tops are starting to brown off (though it is nowhere near the longest day; isn't that tradition?). we agree on the importance of garlic's country of origin, I know, jane :-)
    I love those cushion covers! they would not fit with my décor but they do make my smile. I can imagine their soft linen-y-ness.
    enjoy your week jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e ...harvesting garlic now is breaking with tradition, but mine was looking brown and messy and it just had to come up!

      Delete
  2. Those cushions looked right at home on your lounges, I'm glad you like them.
    There were a couple of garlic plants I discovered in our garden too, the bulbs weren't that big either when I pulled them up. They're drying on the back verandah now.
    My copy of Lunch Lady magazine arrived too. It along with the Christmas issue of Country Style are providing some inspiring reading material.
    Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are loving Lunch Lady mag Zara, great isn't it? So much goodness. The Christmas CS is gorgeous too...sigh x

      Delete
  3. Those candles are a lovely gift, I love beeswax.
    Putting together gifts for newborn babies is so special and enjoyable - I don't get to do it very often so I always relish it when I do.
    Have a great week,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous post honey.
    i'm mostly thinking about where i can put all the seedlings i grew this year and realistically how many we'll be able to irrigate.
    i hope you have a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I love your comments. Happy irrigating xx

      Delete
  5. This is my second year growing garlic, and I grew a much better crop than my first time around. It responded well to regular liquid fertiliser, and a move from the rather windy spot I had it in. I've only had to buy 1 bulb for eating in two years! (when I'd used up my lot, and was waiting for the second lot to cure)

    Those cushions are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl, real garlic is a beautiful thing isn't it?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca! Zara is very clever with these things.

      Delete
  7. I cannot grow garlic and don't even bother to try now, so I'd be very happy with any size!
    Currently not thinking about Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might try to forget about Christmas for now too Anne! x

      Delete
  8. My thoughts have been dominated by the terrible events of the weekend. I'm trying hard to shake a feeling of gloom. How lovely, then, to see sunshine and read about new life, growth, music and happiness in your post, Jane. We must hang on to all these pleasures. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies if my post seemed frivolous after the recent world events Sam. You live much closer to this than I do and I cannot imagine how it must feel. I considered not posting this but then I decided that I have a lot to be grateful for and wanted to share. Thank you for your thoughtful words as always x

      Delete
  9. Babies are always such a special thing. Christmas, I am trying to avoid the thought of yet another one far from family but agree that often it leads to excess in many ways but the love is never in excess but always just right. Being able to grow garlic would be awesome. I am just happy that I finally got tomatoes to really, really go gangbusters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for your tomatoes, incredible things aren't they? x

      Delete
  10. Your blog is so inspirational, I love how you demonstrate a simple way of living. I envy you a bit, but hope to make a change myself that leads me to a simpler life. I love natural horsemanship, I rode horses for 20 years and hope to have a horse again one day. I had an Australian Stockhorse at one stage and he was so intuitive, we could communicate differently than I could with any of my ponies or thoroughbreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. We try to live simply although as you know simple is actually pretty hard to achieve. Interesting thoughts about your horses! Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  11. Also, I really dislike what Christmas has become. I had my first child this year and I am nervous about the onslaught of cheap plastic presents that my kid just doesn't need. I don't feel that family and friends place the right value on things, well not always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on becoming a mum Carla. Don't get me started on cheap plastic presents...it can get ridiculous. Good luck! x

      Delete
  12. thinking lots. Like someone left a tap on somewhere and all the thoughts a rushing to get out...sort of.
    Lots of things, and a touch of chaos.
    Love Zara's cushions they look gorgeous. Made me eye off our couch. Yep, I think I can do better than the current cushion covers which are yawn inducing. Hope your week is a good one Jane. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brydie, you will note that I didn't actually put our couch in the photo. Two young people have given it a very hard time over the years and the new cushions certainly are a welcome addition to an otherwise rather dull area! x

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane