MENU

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

In My Kitchen, November 2015

Lately things have been fairly simple in my kitchen.  While some of the food we eat isn't necessarily quick to prepare it all contains simple ingredients.  Sourdough baking and vegetable growing are entwined in the rhythm of our life and the processes have become second nature over the years. 

I don't think I will ever get tired of preparing, baking, eating and photographing bread. 


Sourdough cinnamon buns made using Brydie's recipe.  My dough turned out to be quite wet and sticky and so my shaping was not nearly as neat or creative as Brydie's but they still filled my kitchen with that unmistakable smell of cinnamon, bread, butter and goodness. 


On a dusty shelf in an outback shed holding long forgotten nails, nuts and bolts, my husband found this gorgeous old ice cream tin and bowl.  The little bowl is by Johnson Bros of England and I have it on good authority that this particular shape is quite rare in the world of op-shops and Johnson collectables. 
  

Sourdough pizza topped with home cured olives and fresh spinach and thyme from the garden.  


A circle of spring goodness, baby zucchinis, asparagus and thyme from the garden.  


In our house it is unthinkable to run out of yoghurt.  It is comforting to know that when the supply runs low it doesn't take much effort to make a bowl of silky, creamy yoghurt to keep everyone happy.  


Last summer I grew chickpeas and with some help from Mum and the kids we harvested enough peas to eat and some to sow again this year.  My hand model had been picking mulberries in case you hadn't guessed.  I have found chickpeas make a hardy green manure crop to grow in the summer and picking the peas is a bonus. 


Are you keeping things simple in your kitchen?

I hope the middle of your week is full of good things.  

As usual I am linking up with Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Please visit her kitchen and other kitchens around the world, if you get a chance.

45 comments :

  1. Oh I can't image the feeling of harvesting your own chickpeas! Well done.
    As always everything looks so wholesome and delicious in your kitchen Jane. We had pizza for dinner last night, although my dough was a yeasted olive oil one. I haven't made sourdough pizza before; any recipe recommendations?
    I hope you have a good day,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah. For pizza I use the same basic sourdough that I use for my bread. I just shape it into smaller balls and roll it out flat. It works well for us! x

      Delete
    2. Oh great I'll give that a go. Thank-you! x

      Delete
  2. Ah Jane, when I see your posts, I am taken right into the soul of the country- with your baking and fresh air and lovely dirty gardening hands. Your bread is, as always, superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't ever stop taking pictures of bread Jane .. I would miss it! I am sure we had a set of Blue Johnson Bros wear when I was growing up and I found the curvy bowls a little weird!! EWE BEAUTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trish...I wonder where those bowls ended up? x

      Delete
  4. Oh, that bread! Looks just the ticket! And I love the Johnson bowl and ice cream tin, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't tire of looking at photos of your fabulous bread, Jane! Everything in your kitchen looks wonderful and generous. It's lovely to think of you harvesting asparagus and spring veg as we're heading into late autumn and our darker months here. How brilliant to grow your own chickpeas. I'm going to google that now... Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickpeas are so easy to grow Sam...rather tedious to harvest though :)

      Delete
  6. It seems strange to have ice-cream in a tin though I can remember people coming back from their holidays in Cornwall with clotted cream in a tin, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It always looks wonderful in your kitchen Jane, especially the bread and I love your hand model's fingers (makes me feel better about my walnut stained fingers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clotted cream in a tin...yes please!

      Delete
  7. Love the pictures of your bread! Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, you captured my heart with that very first picture - just beautiful! All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hand model is perfect Jane. Love it.
    Thanks for making the Cinnamon Buns too. It's good to know they were too sticky for you to shape. Will carefully scrutinise the recipe again next time I make them. Different flour? I also still plan on doing a tutorial on how to shape them, just need someone else to hold the camera, as I'm generally only with a 3 year old helper when I bake so that doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been my starter or my flour Brydie...it is all so variable isn't it? I wish I could help you with a blog tutorial over a cup of tea x

      Delete
  10. Jane, your bread looks amazing. You and Celia are the stars of bread making!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about being a bread star Glenda...Celia certainly is though!

      Delete
  11. Hello lovely... your bread looks so beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive bread, we are never out of yogurt at my house either. I can see spring starting in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to grow chickpeas! I collect Johnson Brothers (certain patterns) and haven't seen too many of those bowls so well done! The bread looks delicious too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...interesting to know this about the Johnson bowl!

      Delete
  14. Never stop photographing your gorgeous bread! I never thought to grow my own chickpeas, I'll have to research that for around here. Love the tin and bowl as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen, chickpeas are very easy to grow, even in our hot summers!

      Delete
  15. Loving your bread and your pizza!
    Yummy ones. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your bread and your pizza!
    Yummy ones. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh you have so many 'good things' in this post jane!
    growing chickpeas - there is something I have never thought of. how wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickpeas grow really well here e, even in our hot summer.

      Delete
  18. Everything at your home and in your kitchen looks just lovely Jane...

    Jodie xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I (just barely) remember when ice cream came in tins. My, how times have chnaged. I have pinned your lovely photo of the lazy circle of baby zucchinis. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona...how exciting to have been pinned! x

      Delete
  20. Jane, your opening paragraph evoked such a feeling of peace and calm -- ahhhhhh -- loved it! Your pizza photo sure got my heart pumping though -- my goodness, I'd love to taste that. I agree with everyone else in your comment section, too -- don't ever stop taking pictures -- of your bread or anything else! Good things are going on there and it's lovely to witness them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Kim, such a thoughtful comment x

      Delete
  21. That bread! I've just started my first sourdough starter (inspired by Gail's Artisan Bakery Cookbook) and can only dream of making bread as good as this one day. Lovely to tune into some spring sunshine here. Your photos of simple food are mouth-wateringly good. So happy I've discovered your blog via A Coastal Plot in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah...lovely to meet you x

      Delete
  22. look at all your lovely produce and those beautiful loaves. that ice cream tin and the bowl are just lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane