MENU

Friday, September 11, 2015

Shack love

Whenever we travel we tend to gravitate towards the ocean.

Recently we spent some time on the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia.  For five days we collected shells, walked on the beach, tried our hand at fishing and did a little sightseeing.

I may have also stalked a few old beach shacks.  The winter months are quiet in these parts of the world so maybe nobody noticed me with my camera as I admired the well-worn exteriors of these lovely old buildings.  










Can you imagine the salty, family memories that might be within these walls and around the barbecues and outdoor showers, built long before outdoor showers even became trendy?

Some of these shacks have been in the same families for generations, good luck to them I say.  I am happy to admit that I am rather envious of their slice of sandy paradise.   For every old shack there was also a generic, swanky housing estate lined with mansions around every corner.  We saw row upon row of double story houses featuring cold facades, instant palm trees and enormous dark windows.  

I couldn’t help but feeling the people in the old shacks might be having more fun.

Do you love an old shack with a fish filleting sink and comfy, old furniture?

Happy Friday, friends x

16 comments :

  1. They look fun and very Australian. Over here we have beach huts - small wooden sheds about 2.5metres wide with no running water - that line the beaches. Some are very modern and trendy inside while others look like a throwback from the 1960s. My mother has a beach hut and it certainly has lots of very happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those beach huts sound intriguing Anne! So many happy memories indeed.

      Delete
  2. Yorkes is a favourite with me and my family as well, I particularly love Innes National park, but anywhere along that coast is beautiful. I agree that the new developments distract from the nature and enjoyment of the rugged coast line and it is sad that so much of it has occurred. But that is progress and has allowed someone the privilege of employment for a period of time. Thanks for the lovely journey down memory lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you again Monique. It is a lovely part of the world isn't it?

      Delete
  3. These look really characterful buildings. Presumably they are shut up for the winter but full of life in the summer? Outdoor showers - great! Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, so many good times would have been had, and continue to be had in those old shacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beach...it has such an air of holiday about it! I love that shack in the second last image the best - such a pretty spot!
    Mansions seem appealing from time to time to get away from it all....but in all honesty I'd rather the quaint cottage, much more my style.
    Hope you're having a lovely weekend!
    It's freezing here and the fire is going! I wonder where Spring has got to...
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that second last shack amazing...what a view from that wonky little verandah! Thanks Sarah x

      Delete
  6. These shacks are so much nicer than their two story beige vertical blinds neighbours. Any day.
    I suspect pyrex mismatched kitchen items, and a salty deep smell of yesterday inside here. What's not to love about that.
    Have a good week Jane. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brydie...you have a way with words. I knew you would understand x

      Delete
  7. those shacks are so Australian. they look so fragile, yet they stay standing, year after salty-air year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful images Jane, and so uniquely Australian - filled no doubt with plenty of happy holiday memories xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane