MENU

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Botanical art in the outback


It is quite rare for me to receive an invitation, from an artist, to attend the opening of an exhibition.  Also, art exhibitions are not particularly frequent in the quiet outback town of Menindee.  When Anne Lawson kindly asked me to join the gathering for tea and cake I quickly accepted and made plans accordingly.  The interesting thing is, I did not receive this invitation through a mail out or a flyer from the local service station or pub.  Instead, Anne found me through my blog.  Once again the power and reach of blogging amazes me. 


Anne is a member of a group of botanical artists who each year, gather in Menindee to collect and paint the plants that the botanical collector, Dr Hermann Beckler collected while he was at the supply camp of the Burke and Wills Expedition, in 1860.  

The thirty botanical artworks on display are so incredibly intricate.  I can only imagine the patience and attention to detail required by these talented artists.  Thank you for the invitation Anne, it was lovely to meet you.  

You can read more about it here or visit Beckler's Botanical blog

The artwork in the photo below was made by a local resident using recycled materials. For my friends who love enamel, note the old cup, cleverly used at the bottom of the frame.  


This exhibition is currently being held at the Menindee tourist information centre.  Last time I visited this building it was a small, independent supermarket.  It is nice to see that this space has been given a revamp and a colourful new life. 



While we were in Menindee with art on our minds, the kids and I visited a newly unveiled mural, painted by local artist Geoff De Main.  The mural depicts the early characters and images of the local area.  

What is not to love about a midweek outing for a little cake, art, conversation and local history?

I hope you are having a lovey week, friends.

20 comments :

  1. I am a sucker for floral art. I love botanial studies, I find them so fascinating and only dream that I too could draw that well. Sounds like you had a nice time out & about. Cake + Art = A big win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, good to hear from you. I wish I could draw like that too!

      Delete
  2. I didn't make it to Menindee on the trip. These look excellent- I also am fond of botanical art. I did notice that the Broken Hill show was on the day we departed. That look like a huge event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca, the Broken Hill show is a fairly large event for the community. Happy travels!

      Delete
  3. Great post ... yes the blogging world will never cease to amaze me either. How nice to be invited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow Anne Lawson's blog so wondered if you'd be going along to the exhibition. It sounds an intriguing exhibition and as you say, what's not to like about your midweek outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne...and you follow Anne's blog too. Small world really isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Oh, how very beautiful, Jane! So lovely that you were invited... gotta love a special outing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting. The power of the internet - it can suck hours of your day, but it can also open new doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Katie! Thanks for calling in.

      Delete
  7. cake, art, conversation and history....some of my very favourite things Jane.
    Glad you had a wonderful time and glad you were found via your blog lovely :-) (Your blog rocks!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome art project. I loved and miss the creativity and community of rural and regional art and cultural projects and programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, this has prompted me to get a little more involved with these sorts of projects and programs :)

      Delete
  9. i love botanical art too; it can be scientific and precise or charming and naive. thank you for taking us into the exhibition with you jane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fabulous to meet you too, Jane, and the kids as well, of course! Thanks for your great review! It was a pleasure to be able to have the exhibition in Menindee. The plants in your area are stunning! (Sorry I haven't commented sooner, but I am just back into internet connection after being in the northern Flinders Ranges :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I must say attending your exhibition has made me take a little more notice of our unique plants!

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane