MENU

Friday, September 13, 2013

Fashion not food, just for today


Today I am turning my attention away from the usual subject of food and farm life to fashion, more specifically my summer wardrobe.  With the season changing and the temperatures already starting to soar I have found myself scrutinising my clothes and attempting to assemble some outfits.  This is often easier said than done.

I am fairly small and in my mid 30s but I do not want to dress like I am 16.  Equally I don’t want to dress like I am 60, although I do know some very hip women who are in their older years!  

1.

My clothes and accessories need to stand up to outback travel, the supermarket, the preschool drop off, school activities and the odd casual lunch or coffee date with friends.   My trips to town can often involve picking up feed for chooks or horses and visits to rural suppliers for various farm bits and pieces. 


2. 

3.

In our searing summer heat I am paranoid about the sun and I rarely wear sleeveless tops or dresses.

With all of these factors to take into account I have found myself doing quite a bit of online shopping.  Apart from the obvious disadvantage of not being able to try clothes on, online shopping is incredibly convenient.  It means I am not trying to purchase clothes as I hurry between appointments, pick-ups and errands and I have more time to think about each individual piece of clothing and how suitable it will be. 

4.

Online shopping also offers far more choice.  Locally we have available the usual shops found in most shopping centres.   At the other end of the scale we have plenty of country style clothing available which is appropriate for certain occasions but is often expensive and not really my style.

5.

6.

Some of these links are to online stores that I have used recently with great results.  Others are things that I have found and bookmarked.  I thought you might like some of them too.  

1. My current go everywhere bag from Apple and Bee
2. Elk hats are my favourite, I have several
3. Crumpler bags can withstand almost anything
4. This cotton dress from Firefly looks cool and comfortable 
5. My preferred supplier for indestructable Saltwater Sandals is Fine and Sunny
6. Pretty shirts and dresses for grown up and not so grown up girls from Little Tienda


Do you like shopping for clothes?
Are you fussy?
Do you shop online?
How is your summer wardrobe shaping up? 
I am interested!

26 comments :

  1. Hi Jane,
    When I saw the embroidery detail on the last picture I was instantly reminded of the beautiful dresses that we saw worn by the women in Mexico when we went there probably about when you were born Jane! I now see that the clothes from Little Tienda are indeed from Mexico ~ Just gorgeous, and not a little tempting for someone like me who could possibly then be referred to as a "hip woman in her older years" That would be fun!
    Bye for now, Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, lovely to hear from you. Wonderful to hear of your memories from Mexico!

      Delete
  2. You always look so lovely Jane!
    I am forever stalking the new arrivals at Birdsnest as I love their site but I have also spent a bit of time looking at the Frankie4 Footwear shoes and may or may not now own a pair or two!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Kate. Birdnest is a treasure trove isn't it? x

      Delete
  3. I like all your choices above, particularly the bags and hat (especially the first bag).
    I'm not a good clothes shopper - if I go to buy a skirt, I'm more likely to buy a shirt that I couldn't resist and then get fed up with the whole shopping thing and come home. Online shopping certainly makes me more logical, though sadly the clothes never look quite the same on me as they do on a tall, leggy model.
    Lucky you to be sorting out your summer wardrobe. I'm thinking of packing mine away and searching out warm clothes as it's 18C here today but 13C over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I think we can all get a bit 'side tracked' when shopping! Stay warm :)

      Delete
  4. I love that embroidered top too, gorgeous! Similarly like to have a balance of supporting local independents and using the convenience of shopping online. I like clothes that are practical, I can weed in, go on the school run, cook in and are appealling to the eye too - a tough order maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting clothes to cover all requirements can be a tough order I agree! Thanks for calling in Andrea.

      Delete
  5. I *thought* that was a Crumpler bag! :) Love your style Jane! I opt for Indian hippy clothes when it's hot, much to my mother's despair! Salwar (harem) pants, kurta tops, big cheese-cloth like dresses. Luckily I don't go out all that much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would spot the Crumpler bag Celia. Your style sounds lovely too!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love that polka dot bag! Its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for calling in, it is beautiful isn't it? I don't have this one but I do have some other Crumpler bags :)

      Delete
    2. yes! it is really amazing!! <3

      Delete
  7. i have a little tienda top like that one pictured, but in navy, that i'm itching to wear when the weather warms up!

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, the navy tops look lovely x

      Delete
  8. i too am of the age where i do not want to look like a teenie but do not want to look like an oldie :-) it seems hard to find something in between disposable teeny fashion and expensive more mature stuff - here in hobart, anyway.
    i am incredibly fussy, too, which doesn;t help, with a whole set of weird rules: no v necks, no 3/4 pants, but please, more skirts that come to the knee (not mid-thigh). i love clothes but find it very hard to buy for as i have a teeny waist (which is a way of distracting you from my lower curves!). anyway, i do do online shopping but steer away from fitted things.
    enough of me - i love your choices! feminine but practical and beautiful quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e, I love your thoughtful comments! There is nothing wrong with being fussy :)

      Delete
  9. So happy to have found your gorgeous blog via Zara. Had a peek at the Apple and Bee website and have found a few things that I love/NEED. I do most of my shopping online as we are in a country/coastal town, although there are some great local shops. I just love the variety that online shopping offers. Looking forward to following. Have a great week. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to meet you Elaina, thank you for your kind words. Apple and Bee is beautiful isn't it?

      Delete
  10. I am also mid-late 30s and small. If I dress down I can look like a student = not a good thing!! Love the white hat - I bought one just like that recently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from meeting you briefly at EDB in Adelaide that you are extremely stylish Christina :)

      Delete
  11. Love all these, but I'm not confident on my ability to shop online. I'm bad enough at working out what would fit me when shopping in the store. And as I'm not a fan of shopping it just means my wardrobe is down to the bare bones.... hmmmm perhaps I should try online, it can't be any worse than what I have now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, clothes shopping (online or otherwise!) can be tricky, I agree!

      Delete
  12. Love all these, but I'm not confident on my ability to shop online. I'm bad enough at working out what would fit me when shopping in the store. And as I'm not a fan of shopping it just means my wardrobe is down to the bare bones.... hmmmm perhaps I should try online, it can't be any worse than what I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always look cool when you come to Mildura, thanks for the F & S mention! I am not great with shopping for clothes online, I really need to try clothes on before buying. I would love one of the Little Tienda dresses, I might have to get a top while still breastfeeding and they look nice and floaty so no need to try on! I also have a stack of fabric and patterns waiting to be sewn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shell! So good to hear from you and thank you for the kind compliment! You would love Little Tienda. I have a top and it is perfect for summer.

      Delete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane