MENU

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

In My Kitchen April 2013

Welcome to another glimpse of what is happening in my kitchen.  

Last month I shared a photo of my kitchen and I thought I would continue the tour with a photo of our dining table.  My husband made this hefty piece of furniture using recycled timber from an old shed on our property.  The chairs were rescued from the rubbish tip and recovered.  Like all of our furniture is it hard wearing and not too precious which is just right for a busy country home. 



These well worn pieces of butchering equipment were a recent second hand find.  They have been added to our collection of home butchering implements and I am sure they have an interesting story in their past.


With any extra assistance on our property comes the need for extra food to keep the hungry workers happy.  This was a simple slice made with raisins and walnuts adapted from a recipe in my favourite CWA cookbook.  Like most of these recipes they require basic ingredients and they freeze well.


Harvesting my first ever apple crop was an exciting day.  Although it was a small crop I was determined to make something special with the apples.  I decided on a Salted Caramel Apple Pie loosely based on a recipe from the book Edible Selby.  The end result was a bit rustic but decadent and tasty nonetheless.  


Last Christmas my mother in law gave me an old Willow picnic tin.  Ever since then I have been searching for other old picnic wares and recently I found this Willow thermos in great condition.  The stopper is intact but it is missing the actual lid.  Would anyone have the matching lid in their back shed?  


In March I made 150 sourdough rolls that were approximately golf ball size.  For my bread friends, each piece of dough weighed just 20 grams.  My friend Paula then created these mini burgers for the patrons of the committee marque at our local race meeting.  Thank you Paula for the photo and the opportunity, this was such a fun project!  


Every month Celia hosts a foodie tour and we get a chance to visit kitchens all around the world.  Please call into Celia's blog and say hello.  

What is happening in your kitchen this month?  

36 comments :

  1. love your Table Jane!and now a reminder to drag out the CWA book and find a few more recipes to try for this weekends catering!I hope some one cooks YOU a cake today ... best wishes! ....EWE BEAUTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trish...no cake but a home made card from Miss A!

      Delete
  2. your dining table is so special jane having such history and love embedded within it..and i'm a big fan of rescuing things from tips, roadside rubbish collections etc too so i really appreciate and love the story behind your chairs..they look great with the table..

    i'm in awe of all those rolls you made..they look so cute..and delicious of course..and i'm a big fan of home made style cakes etc so i'll have a bit of both if that's ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, you always leave me the most thoughtful comments. I wish I could share some cooking with you!

      Delete
  3. Lots of gorgeous stuff Jane. I wish I had the top for the thermos for you. Fingers crossed one turns up but it is gorgeous as is. Enjoy. Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, lots of winter picnic opportunities on the horizon for the thermos I think!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the tour beyond your kitchen! In our home, the fridge has broken so we're borrowing one until we buy a new one (any recommendations on brands?) and I'm going to try painting our dining table. The Salted Caramel Apple Pie sounds delicious! I actually thought of you last night when I saw Edible Selby in a bookshop - that's a good association to have don't you think? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucent, we have had our fridge for almost 17 years. I am not sure how much longer it will go for, we might be buying one ourselves soon? Thanks for calling in as always!

      Delete
  5. Love your kitchen table, I had chairs very much like that as a little. You kitchen always looks wonderful, and salted caramel apple pie! Wow :)

    xox Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, your table is magnificent (I love the wheels - so versatile) and those old chairs are gorgeous. Just the right amount of red to add a bit of cheer to your simple (but stylish) kitchen.

    That apple pie looks delish and so do those cute teeny tiny burgers

    I may have a lid for your thermos, if I do I'll include it with your kitchenalia when I send it (I haven't forgotten - just a bit slack on the posting!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kylish, you are very kind! Thank you for the lid offer. No pressure. Do you know my mother in law has just given me another old thermos, this one is green tartan with two neat cups/lids. She is a treasure trove I tell ya!

      Delete
  7. Jane your apple pie looks so delicious and all the more so being your first crop.

    I was so pleased with the sourdough buns & grissini you made for me and glad it was fun for you too and not just a job! They were a big hit..

    I do love your kitchen table too, it`s sure to become a family heirloom ...you have a very talented husband

    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula, yes we are lucky to have handy husbands aren't we?

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful table and even better for being home produced. 150 x 20g rolls must have been a labour of love, but the mini burgers look delicious.
    I do enjoy the jaunts around your kitchen Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely that you have been able to recycle te timber to create such a beautiful table. and love that it has wheels too, very practical.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zara, yes the wheels are handy as the table is extremely heavy!

      Delete
  10. Your table is stunning Jane. I love finding beautiful word that can be re-used and given a new life. Your hubby is clever! Congrats on the apple harvest, that is exciting and you pie looks gorgeously delicious. K x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Jane. Love every bit of this post! That kitchen table is awesome, the chairs remind me of my childhood. The willow thermos... how wonderful! And those buns.... mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Lizzy, thank you!

      Delete
  12. *sigh* that table, those chairs! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I'm still shaking my head at those 120 rolls. I just don't know how you managed to roll them all on your own, by hand. You're amazing! And I adore your kitchen table - it made me realise how much our tastes have changed over the last 20 years. There was a time when I would have loved a French polished antique, but now what really appeals is functional, sturdy pieces that can be used without fuss, and which over time store so many memories. I'm being fanciful, I know.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tastes do change don't they Celia. At one stage I loved the 90's country style...a lot of timber, yellow and blue accessories, pictures of chooks etc. I think I have moved on to more of mixture of everything!

      Delete
  14. Elliot (2) looking over my shoulder "ooooo I like those chairs!" My boy has good taste!

    So many good things all wrapped up into one post. Love every single glimpse i get of your home.

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is lovely Rachel, thank you!

      Delete
  15. hi jane, thank you for another lovely tour of your kitchen. the apple pie looks wonderful; i love a 'rustic but decadent' combination!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing kitchen you have going on - I am beyond impressed with your 150 rolls and apple crop, and your husband's table efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always wonderful to see your kitchen Jane and lovely snippets from your country life. That slice looks tasty and your dining table is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jane That table is wonderful. Your husband is very talented. Your cleaver is pretty mighty too. I love finding things at op shops. It is so much fun. And your little buns are wonderful. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane