MENU

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Eat Drink Blog 2012



Two things happened to me last Saturday.  Firstly it marked 12 months since I started my blog adventure.  The second was that I found myself on the pool deck of the Adelaide Hilton enjoying a cold South Australian beer, tempting food and the company of 80 other enthusiastic food bloggers who had gathered for Eat Drink Blog 2012
   


To get things started on Saturday we took a guided tour of the Adelaide Central Market.  Celeste was our bubbly tour guide and as we weaved our way through the market we enjoyed some samples and spoke to generous stall holders who were obviously having a busy Saturday trading.

In the afternoon some delegates enjoyed winery tours of either the Barossa Valley or McLaren Vale.  I chose to participate in a Food Writing Workshop with the talented Dianne Jacob.  Dianne made me realise that I could put a lot more thought into my writing and I came away feeling very impressed with the spontaneous creativity of some of my fellow bloggers.


The balmy Adelaide evening provided the perfect atmosphere for the Eat Drink Blog dinner at the Hilton.  We were greeted with the sight and unmistakable smell of a whole lamb on a spit which set the tone for a special evening. 

I will not attempt to recite every dish but Dennis Leslie and his team cooked up a Latin American inspired feast topped off with two glistening Haigh's chocolate fountains.  My fondest memory of the dinner was having the opportunity to chat with old and new blogging friends, most of whom I had only just met in real life.



In the early hours of Sunday morning Twitter told me that my favourite Adelaide bakery would be supplying our breakfast.  I knew immediately that it was going to be an extraordinary day.

Again, I am not going to attempt to cover all of the valuable information we received.  Perhaps one thing I learnt is that I still have so much to learn! Finding a balance that works for your blog and keeping your blog authentic was a reoccurring theme in most of the presentations.

The Local and Seasonal presentation by Simon Bryant and Tammi Jonas, chaired by Amanda McInerney was particularly relevant and interesting to me as a farming person.  Both Simon and Tammi spoke of the importance of eating locally and seasonally and making informed choices when it comes to eating, particularly in regards to meat.  The subject of meat sparked a lively discussion amongst the speakers and delegates.   

Simon of Simon Food Favourites captured the movement and excitement of the weekend perfectly in this video.  Enjoy. 


Thank you to the hard working committee for providing us with this experience.  My mind is still buzzing and I feel very fortunate to have been involved in Eat Drink Blog 2012.

Amanda McInerney (co-chair) Lambs' Ears and Honey
Christina Soong-Kroeger (co-chair) Hungry Australian
Alex Prichard Eating Adelaide  
Celeste Wong Travelling in MaryJanes
Erin Brooks She Cooks, She Gardens
Kirsty Dummin SmithThe Natural Foodie
Natasha Stewart Playing House


 *I would also like to thank my friend Mel from The Adventures of Miss Piggy for initially telling me about this gathering otherwise it may have completely passed me by.  

18 comments :

  1. Beautiful Jane and what a fantastic way to spend a weekend and to make real connections with so many other bloggers , it must have been so inspireing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your one year anniversary, and the workshop sounds and looks like a wonderful event. I love your blog already so looking forward to seeing what new ideas you have up your sleeve!

    xo Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane, It was great to meet you in Adelaide. Congratulations on your one-year anniversary and looking forward to keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane! Congrats on the 1 yr anny of the blog! Also, was great to have set next to you and also chat during Day 2 of the conference. It really was an amazing one, wasn't it? And thank gosh to Mel for telling you abt it too! I am definitely attending the conference again next year, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Jane, you have a beautiful blog. Loved meeting you in SA for EDB. A great wrap up! See you soon xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, hopefully i can meet you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, thanks Jane - and glad you came!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww Jane - thanks for the thanks! As soon as I heard the conference was going to be rAdelaide I knew that you had to come! It was SO great to see you after such a long time...I just wish that we'd had more time to catch up - the weekend went by in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to meet you, shame we didn't get to chat more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi - have always enjoyed reading your blog. Please check out my latest post as I am passing on the LIEBSTER AWARD to you. Thank you for all of the enjoyable posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane, great post about the conference and great to meet you there. I think you're right we were totally spoilt. Love your blog look forward to popping back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane :) I got to spend the first anniversary of my blog at EDB last year - it's a great way to get excited all over again isn't it?! It was lovely to meet you there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a scrumptious weekend! I just heard about it this morning. It must have been a great experience to share and feel the commonality with the other bloggers. I know that I love talking about these kinds of issues with the bloggers who have become real life friends to me. A non-blogger doesn't understand a lot of these issues when writing and sharing online! I love the photo of everyone snapping the food! (thank you for your thoughts on my minimalist christmas post - i always love hearing from you)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds and looks like it was an amazing experience. thank you for sharing! and i over the photos of everyone taking the photos together - looks like they were "papping" the food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jane, I would have loved to attend the writing workshop (although I was very happy to attend the wine blending activity at d'Arenberg Winery!). Congrats on your bloggy birthday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw thanks Jane. I'm glad your mind is still buzzing - that means it was a good event. My 4 goals for edb3 were: people were inspired, they learned something, they made new friends and they had fun. From your post it sounds like we managed to pull it off :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i just love food bloggers meetings...it makes me feel more normal! :)
    Thanks for all you teachs us here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-14-baklava.html



    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane