MENU

Friday, June 15, 2012

Walnut Tart


Happy Friday my friends.  This evening I am sharing one of my favourite tart recipes.  

I have made this quite a few times and I love it for the rich, dense filling that has a subtle taste of honey.  I still have a lot to learn about the art of pastry making but this particular pastry usually works well for me.  There is something special about a tart... wouldn't you agree?  This recipe was adapted from a Delicious magazine, published a few years ago.


Walnut Tart

Pastry:
250g plain flour, sifted
125g caster sugar
125g unsalted butter, chilled
1 egg

Tart filling:
3 eggs
⅓ cup honey (warm honey gently to make it easier to combine with other ingredients)
2 tbs cream
250g walnuts roughly chopped
1-2 tsp icing sugar

Pulse flour and sugar in a food processor for a few seconds.  Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.  Add egg and process until mixture forms a ball.  Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Roll out on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 23cm loose-bottomed fluted tart pan.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200ºC.  Line the pastry shell with baking paper, fill with rice or baking weights and blind bake for 10 minutes.  Remove baking paper and weights from shell.  Reduce heat to 180ºC.  To make filling process eggs, honey and cream in a food processor until well combined.  Stir in nuts and then pour filling into case and bake for 30 minutes.  Cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly.  

When cool, sprinkle with icing sugar.  Serve warm or at room temp with cream or vanilla ice cream.


*Try substituting a mixture of walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, macadamias and pistachios.  
*As you can see I have used a pie dish rather than a loose-bottomed tart pan.  A loose-bottomed tart pan would make cutting the tart much easier.





Do you bake tarts?
Do you make pastry?
I hope you enjoy this one!

20 comments :

  1. Pudding this weekend's been sorted. Thanks Jane, I'll let you know how I go x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that looks good; I shall have to try it this autumn when we pick our walnuts. Your pastry has a lot of sugar in - does it make it crisper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, I have made some comments about my pastry on your blog :)

      Delete
  3. This looks beautiful, wish I could havlice slice right now for breakfast! I sometimes make fruit tarts but I think I should make more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant 'have a slice'. Why do I never see typos until they're published? :)

      Delete
  4. oh..the comment i wrote yesterday hasn't appeared jane..i said how delicious your tart looks and that i'd love a piece with a cup of tea after i gardened for 5 hours yesterday..making pastry is up there with bread making..i love it..jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i forgot..i also wondered what's in those dear little tarts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little tarts just have apricot jam in them Jane. Simple but yummy, this was before they were cooked so the jam still looks like a big lump!

      Delete
  6. Ohh this one is a keeper! Walnuts take me back to my grandparents house, watching my grandfather crack walnuts for my grandmother to use in her baklava.

    I love making pastry now that I have a food processor. I never really bothered before, because I'd always over work it.

    I've started making jam tarts with left over pastry after seeing your post a few weeks ago! Thanks for the great idea. They were polished off at work in minutes and the next two batches at home were gone in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phoebe, I am pleased you are enjoying the jam tarts. Thanks for sharing the lovely memory of walnuts with your grandparents and baklava...yum!

      Delete
  7. Oh Jane, I love walnuts so much. I grew up on them, my mother always cooked with them! Love your tart recipe. Your photos are absolutely beautiful too. Bookmarking this one to try! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a walnut tart before, Jane! It looks scrumptious - is it a bit like a pecan pie? Lizzy's right, beautiful photos, as always.. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia, yes it is a lot like a pecan pie!

      Delete
  9. YUM-O!!!! I must try this one...

    I love making tarts but must admit, I've never made a walnut (or any nut for that fact) tart... I like doing what you have done with the Apricot jam - always a goodie especially when the jam is homemade. We're having last years quangdong jam in tarts at the moment - they're delicious with fresh whipped cream on top...

    Thanks for your inspiration Jane, I can't wait to try your recipe out this week.

    Hugs - Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie...let me know if you have success with the tart x

      Delete
  10. this looks amazing. we have a whole walnut grove just near our house but i've never been able to find any nuts.

    rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that does look good - just those words together 'walnut'and 'tart'were enough for me. I'll be trying this one out soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane