MENU

Sunday, April 1, 2012

In My Kitchen April 2012

Welcome to a little tour of what is in my kitchen this month.  To start with I am sharing some foodie treasure that came home with me after a recent trip to Adelaide.

After much deliberation over a wall of tea at T Bar I chose this China Golden Yunnan black loose leaf tea.  A pot of tea on the weekends is a ritual for us and this one was a good choice. It has a smoky taste and is a subtle mix of both green and black tea.  




Who can resist Haigh's chocolates?  Walking past the shiny window with a pretty Easter display we were tempted by beautifully packaged dark chocolate and a canister of serious drinking chocolate.  Yum!




Whenever we are in Adelaide we try to visit the colourful Kim Wang Asian supermarket within the Adelaide Central Market.  It is always full of interesting food and smells at affordable prices.  Amongst some other Asian essentials we left with a basic, functional wok…this is the second wok we have purchased over the years from Kim Wang.




If you love cheese the Adelaide Central Market  is paradise.  At almost every corner is a sparkling glass display cabinet brimming with every imaginable cheese.  The choice can be overwhelming but this time I settled on a tub of  Woodside Goat Curd from the Adelaide Hills.  This curd is so incredibly soft and smooth it could be eaten on almost anything.  How about pizza, salad or sourdough toast?  We enjoyed it on a biscuit with a cold beer at the end of a  busy Saturday.

  
We met old friends on Elizabeth Street in suburban Croydon for coffee.  This little strip of shops is pretty, a bit quirky, very groovy and has a real community vibe.  When our friends bought a packet of these sweet potato chips from the delightful Queen Street Grocer I also jumped on the bandwagon.  They were crunchy, not too salty and tasted quite natural.

.

One of my favourite food moments for the month was hearing our kids; Annabelle and George calling from outside the kitchen door to greet me with this armful of goodness.  In their arms they had a capsicum, some basil, nasturtium flowers and a zucchini with the flower still attached.  Seeing my two little people so full of enthusiasm for good food is pure joy!



Lastly, the generosity of one of my foodie friends Paula,  made my week.  This lovely box of pomegranates, quinces and home made Vanilla Extract was left at her back door simply for me to pick up.  For me this represents far more than a box of incredible home grown produce.  It is about sharing, friendship and understanding.  Gestures like this make the world a better place don't they?



What is happening in your kitchen this month?  


Thanks Celia for this fun foodie game.  Please share and join in the fun at  Celia’s beautiful blog Fig Jam and Lime Cordial.  

18 comments :

  1. Oh Jane, how delicious. SA produce and all the good things that come with that. Love the woodside cheese! Divine. A beautiful post all around. Wish you lived closer! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the uplifting post!
    I really enjoyed your gifted box of fruit and home made vanilla- you are right- it is the thought and gestures that touch closest to the heart.
    And the produce brought in from your children with such enthusiasm - well that is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Heidiannie!

      Delete
  3. Yum! No wonder your kids are such foodies - they must get it from their mum! I'm not sure what to do with your pomegranates. Michelle likes to sprinkle the seeds on salads etc. I might have a few more ideas for you after her visit next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, have fun with Michelle x

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane
    A lovely post.
    My favourite item in your kitchen is the Haigh's chocolate. It is so good. Whenever I go to Melbourne it is on my itinerary.
    I am off to Adelaide this month so, after reading your post, will visit Adelaide Central Market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss the Adelaide Markets - nothing like that at all in Sydney sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, I thought I left a comment this morning - apologies if I end up doubling up! Thanks for showing us what's in your kitchen - such treasure there! The pomegranates look fantastic, and it's been ages since we've had any quinces to play with! What will you make with them? Glad you had fun in Adelaide! And how cool is it that your small folk can forage for their own produce? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia...all the IMK posts are so interesting! :)

      Delete
  7. Wow Jane - everything looks gorgeous!!!

    I love all of the foodie goodness you found in Adelaide and what a sweet treat from your friend Paula...

    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't leave that enamel teapot lying around unattended jane because it might just go missing.. :)

    i loved hearing about your adelaide adventures, the kindness of your friend and your children's enthusiasm for your homegrown produce..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haighs is my weakness in Adelaide...and I would have to agree about your teapot. Guard it with your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jane how delightful to be mentioned in your beautiful blog,(I am really chuffed :) ) but we both know it is not a one way street, I have also had the delight of delicious treasures from your garden.
    I do also relish a trip to the Adelaide Market with all its wonderful produce. It opens up almost like an Aladdin`s cave with so much to choose from, it`s sometimes hard to know when to stop shopping....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful things there, all of them but I do especially love a good haigh's chocolate frog!
    Have a lovely Easter Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this all looks so delicious! Sadly it's been a bit quiet in our kitchen lately... Aside from cake baking. I've done a bit of that!

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane