MENU

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Toys with character for Christmas


On a recent trip to Mildura I visited one of my favourite second hand shops S & L Trading looking for something interesting preferably related to vintage or old caravans.  This recent enthusiasm has been sparked by the beautiful book My Cool Caravan which is full of cute retro vans that have been lovingly restored by their owners.


My own caravan is a long way off so in the meantime I am searching for the toy variety…preferably old with a little character.  I quickly found this Ford Thames Airborne Caravan made in Great Britain by Corgi Toys.  A little searching took me to the very interesting website of Andrew Wood where I discovered that these vans were made between 1962 and 1966.  

My little van is clearly pre-loved but in good condition complete with internal shutters on the windows, swinging back doors and a slightly perished cushioned seat in the back.  I love it!

On the same trip we acquired this three wheel children’s bike which came with a cute home made tin trailer.  This is a Christmas present for our kids but I am not sure who is more excited about it, us or them? It is difficult to resist the timeless quality of these toys.  Do you have any old toys from your childhood that hold special Christmas memories?  Merry Christmas.



For more lovely vintage finds link up with Sophie at Her Library Adventures

6 comments :

  1. Love the bike jane!! I have one down here at mum n dads I was given from my grandparents when I was little! Exactly the same as yours. Merry christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well here there! Lovely to meet you. Would you believe that I have the same little Cyclops tricycle that was given to me in the early 1960s... it went from me to my nephew, to my sister's three children and then my son and daughter. I treasure it! Are you on twitter? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Kylie, Lizzy & Cathy! Lizzy...no I am not on Twitter simply because I feel it would take up even more time than blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's ok... happy to have met you. Will be keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is usually the vintage toy buff, but I would have snatched up that cute little caravan, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane