MENU

Friday, November 18, 2011

The humble spud


The humble spud...we usually grab a bag of them at the supermarket and eat them roasted or perhaps mashed for the kids and don’t give them much more thought.


little hands inspecting a Kipfler


Digging up our own potato crop last week was incredibly satisfying and also produced some delicious meals.  I planted several varieties and the most successful was King Edward.  I think this was mainly due to this variety being planted in a better patch of soil.

I came up with this little salad after an impromptu Sunday dinner invitation to our neighbour’s property.

Scarsdale potato salad

A good handful of small potatoes, I used Kipfler
A few baby carrots
A good handful of fresh salad and herb leaves, I used rocket, basil and oregano
A few tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper
A few nasturtium flowers, optional

Place potatoes and carrots in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil.  Simmer until just tender.  Drain, return to saucepan and add some of the olive oil.  Toss to coat potatoes and carrots and allow to cool.

Combine potatoes and carrots with remaining ingredients in a large bowl, dress with extra olive oil if necessary.  





5 comments :

  1. Another simple dish that even I could make - and I think I might. I LOVE Kipfler tatters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious, love a good waxy spud boiled then squashed and roasted with a bit of lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.....yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious salad to have with a BBQ and a nice glass of wine.Nothing from the shops tastes as good home grown and I`ll bet there was some great sour dough as well...great stuff Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiration to grow some I think...I am not sure why I never have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the feedback girls...Fine and Sunny's, I want your roast potatoes for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome. I will try to reply to all comments eventually because I love the conversation! Jane